[PD-dev] individual files vs. libs for externals

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Jun 9 11:06:03 CEST 2003

> By the way, as i'm a strong supporter of external libraries... what are the
> reasons why i would not want to use them?

- they are not automatically loaded, therefore if you want to use one
  external the whole library has to be loaded
- you have to put a lib flag for every library you want to load
- they are not as flexible  for distribution
- it is hard (if not impossible) to implement a system that allows for
reloading.
- they do not fit in the system for externals that we designed for the
  CVS. (which is based on single externals, actually I do not see any
  other way the idea could be implemented)

Add the advantages of single externals (we have been talking about here
on the list) and you have some arguments why
single externals are a better decision.

What are the arguments against single externals ?

Guenter