[PD-dev] Real-time sound from rigid-body physics simulator?

Randy Demsetz RDemsetz at itsgames.com
Mon Jun 9 21:07:49 CEST 2003

Hello all, I'm brand new to this list. I'm a game developer working on an
upcoming title. I'd like to use the impact forces, velocities, etc. from the
game's collision detection and physics engine (rigid body, not deformable)
to create realistic physical sounds (such a ball rolling on a floor, or a
box striking a wall and bouncing to the floor). It has to be real-time,
where the physics engine's values can only be sampled at 1/120th of a second
intervals. It has to take up less than 5% of a 1.5GHz CPU processing time.

Can it be done? Are there code samples of this already done (free or
licensable)?

Thanks,
     Randy