[PD-dev] individual files vs. libs for externals

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jun 12 17:02:33 CEST 2003

On Sunday, Jun 8, 2003, at 10:21 America/New_York, guenter geiger wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Is there anyway to have aliases when using externals in separate
>> files?
>> (i.e. receive = r, prepend = pp, etc).
>
> yes,
>
> link the file to an alias eg. ln -s prepend.pd_xxx pp.pd_xxx
> add a second setup function in prepend.c:
> void pp_setup() { prepend_setup(); }

One last issue: Windows links/shortcuts.  I tried a few experiments and
I couldn't get it to work with Shortcuts.  I know there is a way to do
hard links in Windows NT/2k/XP but I don't remember how, and its
basically never used.  If Pd was running under Cygwin, then this would
work since Cygwin supports Shortcuts as symlinks.