[PD-dev] jack and pd question

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 8 10:59:54 CEST 2003

On Monday 07 July 2003 22:29, guenter geiger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry but I think I still do not understand...
> What are the exact problems that you are seeing ?

Hi,

Mainly xruns and weird returns from jack_get_all_connections() and
jack_get_ports().

In the jack doc it says about jack_get_all_connections:

1) You may not call this function from code that is executed in response to a
JACK event. For example, you cannot use it in a GraphReordered handler.

But I think jack_get_ports is also not realtime safe.
Basically all these kind of jack functions are not supposed to be called
inside the process callback.

So the question is, is the entire pd-graph handled inside the jack process
callback?  It seems to.

I think I have 2 possible solutions to make my jack-utility externals work:
1)I can run them in an other pd with the -noaudio flag
2)I can try making them multithreaded. But I don't really know how to do this
properly.

I think I will do 1) and make a beta release soon.

greetings

Gerard