[PD-dev] [GEM] compiling gem cvs

Daniel Heckenberg daniel at bogusfront.org
Wed Jul 23 00:36:09 CEST 2003

From: "guenter geiger" <geiger at xdv.org>
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Thomas Grill wrote:
> > Hi GEM maintainers,
> >
> > i have had some trouble compiling GEM from cvs for Windows (with VC7):
> > - i had to change all occurences of GL_BGRA or GL_BGR to GL_BGRA_EXT and
> > GL_BGR_EXT, respectively (i hope that's exactly the same....)
>
> this is really strange. Seems to be a OpenGL thing, but i can not imagine
> that why this change was done on windows OpenGL implementation.

Microsoft have basically left the default openGL implementation at version
1.1.  This means that even if you're using a card with a driver that offers
opengl > 1.1, you're limited to using 1.1 features at compile time unless
you include a newer glext.h and to the appropriate runtime checks.

As the windows maintainer of GEM I find myself making that particular change
all the time.  It should probably be solved with the inclusion of an
up-to-date glext.h.  Since all Windows openGL implementations supprt
GL_BGRA_EXT and GL_BGR_EXT it would not be necessary to check support for
these particular extensions.

Thomas: Thanks for pointing out the other issues... most of these are the
result of recent changes that I've not yet had time to get going on Windows.

If you want a recent build (just prior to the font system being changed
over) please find a binary here:
http://www.bogusfront.org

Daniel