[PD-dev] Gem/MarkEx now in pd-externals

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Aug 1 00:30:41 CEST 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> > I would quite prefer it, if the comb one gets renamed. It will
> > irritate users coming from languages like Csound. (It did irr. me)
> >

> Sounds good to me.  [reson~] from Gem/cxc was relatively buried and
> undocumented, so I can't imagine that it got much use.

Hi,

Well, I don 't have to say that I think that the work you are doing is
very valuable. For the externals that get trashed, I suggest that
instead of renaming them (which would only be of any help if someone wants
to use them in a new project). ....

... we just put them in a new folder "deprecated" (or the like).
The advantage of this is that people who have old patches around using
these objects can select the deprecated version just by adding a path
to that folder, and they don't have to rename objects in their old
patches.

The order pd searches for externals (abstractions) is:

*) externals come first
1) in local directory (dir of the patch)
2) in the path
3) in the extra directory

What do you think ?

Greetings,