[PD-dev] flext makefile for all platforms

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Aug 25 23:39:41 CEST 2003

On Friday, Aug 22, 2003, at 12:09 America/New_York, Thomas Grill wrote:

>> Does anyone have a good makefile for flext externals that works on all
>> platforms? (especially osx)

autoconf-style ./configure, makefile.in already works for Linux, MacOS
X, and more (see pd/src/, externals/ggee, externals/ext13, etc.) and it
should work on Cygwin as well.  But it seems no one has done much with
pd on cygwin, so this idea remains to be tested.  But I think it would
pay off in a number of ways: you wouldn't need an expensive proprietary
compiler to compile pd/etc.; one makefile/config system would work on
all platforms; the cygwin installer would install and keep up-to-date
many of the libs.  The only disadvantages that I can think of is that
might not work with commercial compilers like Visual Studio, and you
would need the cygwin DLL to run pd on Windows.

Other than that, it seems people either have separate makefiles or
separate sections in the Makefile, in order for it to work on Windows.