gentoo (was Re: [PD-dev] Linux distribution.)

august august at alien.mur.at
Tue Sep 2 16:04:00 CEST 2003

tim,

i've use quite a few linux distros and while they all seem to have their
quirks, I've settled on gentoo.

debian was fine, but I really wasted a lot of time configuring.  redhat
will work.  suse is probably the worst of all selections.  I also played
round with some minimal linux's like crux.

in the end, I'm sticking with gentoo.  config is simple but can take a
while to understand the system.  when installing though, be prepared to
let you computer sit for a day or two.  it really takes a while to compile
gcc, xfree and mozilla.  not sure if it really speeds up the machine, but
it really feels faster (at least psychologically).

for pd though, you probably will run into problems with alsa and jack and
pd. expect to download these apps yourself and install in /usr/local.  and
the pd dist is stuck at 0.35 I think at the moment.

I've always had a symstem, even with debian and redhat, that was a mixture
of 'core' distrobution programs and then self-compiled apps (normally
alsa, mplayer and the media things) in /usr/local.  with gentoo, i seem to
be doing the same.

maybe that helps -august.