gentoo (was Re: [PD-dev] Linux distribution.)

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Tue Sep 2 18:29:05 CEST 2003

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:51:11 +0200
smoerk <smoerk at gmx.de> wrote:

> TimBlechmann at gmx.net wrote:
>
> >>- what is the best Linux distribution to use pd with?
> >
> > i'm using pd with suse which works fine, but i'm interested in
> > switching to gentoo. it should get the best performance out of your
> > system by compiling all programs optimized for your machine!
>
> which seems to be more a rumour than proven fact. see
>
> http://articles.linmagau.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=227&page=1

they used a celeron machine without any further optimizations beside
"-march=pentium3 -pipe -O3" to compare the systems. they didn't use any
sse/sse2/mmx optimizations...

i suppose (i can't prove it) you should get a bit more performance on
these machine that they did for the test... they used the most stable
settings...

 Tim                          mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de
                              ICQ: 96771783
                              http://www.nyds-exp-discogs.tk
--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,