[PD-dev] pd .36-0 "watchdog signaling pd..." on OSX

ben at ekran.org ben at ekran.org
Mon Sep 8 18:00:14 CEST 2003

I just had an ugly crash of Gem in on OSX.

The real problem was that when trying to figure out what went wrong gdb
was giving me lots of trouble. Rather I would have to keep pressing "c" to
continue when the PD watchdog came up and stopped PD from running!

In my day to day PD on OSX experience I noticed that the watchdog comes up
whenever tk is blocking gui execution (ie when its waiting for the results
of a tk_getOpenFile command) the watchdog seems to come up everytime the
tk_getOpenFile command is run. It keeps coming up for the duration of the
openpanel being open.

This is what I get in GDB:

(gdb) run -rt -nomidi -nosound -lib ../../Gem/Gem -open
/Volumes/Projects/People/Ben/patches/van/obj_model.pd
Starting program: /Users/synthops/pd-0.36-0/bin/pd -rt -nomidi -nosound
-lib ../../Gem/Gem -open
/Volumes/Projects/People/Ben/patches/van/obj_model.pd
[Switching to process 500 thread 0xb03]
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries
....................................................... done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
watchdog: signaling pd...

Program received signal SIGHUP, Hangup.
0x8fe15f7c in __dyld_send_event ()
(gdb) c
Continuing.
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
watchdog: signaling pd...

Program received signal SIGHUP, Hangup.
0x8fe15f7c in __dyld_send_event ()
(gdb) c
Continuing.
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
watchdog: signaling pd...

Program received signal SIGHUP, Hangup.
0x8fe0e068 in __dyld_lookup_symbol_in_library_image ()
(gdb) c
Continuing.
GEM: Graphics Environment for Multimedia
GEM: ver: 0.87+cvs
GEM: compiled: Aug  6 2003
GEM: maintained by IOhannes m zmoelnig
GEM: Authors :  Mark Danks (original version on irix/windows)
GEM:            Chris Clepper (macOS-X)
GEM:            Daniel Heckenberg (windows)
GEM:            Guenter Geiger (linux)
GEM:            James Tittle (macOS-X)
GEM:            IOhannes m zmoelnig (linux/windows)
etc..

this is what happens when just running PD, there is certainly something
wrong with the watchdog thinking PD is dead on OSX, and sending the hangup
at anoying times.

I hope this helps for 37!