[PD-dev] [route] improvement?

David Sabine dave at davesabine.com
Wed Sep 10 08:56:04 CEST 2003

Hello all,

I've noticed an oddity in the [route] object.  I don't want to alarm anyone,
as there's really no problem.but this is just food for thought.

Consider this for a moment: [trigger s b] or [trigger f b]

These are trigger objects which sends a symbol+bang or a float+bang.

Now consider: [route s b] or [route f b]

This object fails because [route] doesn't allow us to abbreviate the atom
type.  Wouldn't it be nice to abbreviate the name of the atom type in the
route object?  Could this be accomplished in future versions without causing
backwards-compatibility issues?  [route l b s f a] would be much more
friendly (in terms of onscreen real estate) than [route list bang symbol
float anything].

Would this cause any issues if I sent a list to [route] in which the first
element is "f"? (for example) or "a"?

Does anybody have any thoughts about this?

G'nite all,
Dave Sabine