[PD-dev] preserving connections of 'bogus' objects

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 16 17:45:04 CEST 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Krzysztof Czaja wrote:

> What I have in mind, is that during object creation, when the
> requested class is not known, and there is no matching abstraction, a
> `failsafe' replacement object is used.  Currently in Pd, it has never
> any inlets nor outlets, even if loaded from a patch with the original
> object connected.  (A slightly different case, and apparently easier
> to deal with, is an already patched up object, edited into a
> ``couldn't create'' nop by the user.)
>
> Currently in Max, such creatures, called `bogus' objects, do
> preserve connections.

This is also a feature of jMax, which draws such objects in lightgray
instead of white. That this feature is not present is a bit of an
annoyance. It makes it not very much possible to look at a patch just for
looking at it, without having the external.

This would be important to look at example patches for an external that is
not installed yet, as a preview of what the external would be used and
such. Well I don't know if many people do that, but sometimes I happen to.

Another possibly more important problem is when you change an object at
runtime and make a mistake and then the object loses all its
inlets/outlets and all associated connections (!). At least now there's
Ctrl+Z that makes it less of a problem.