[PD-dev] preserving connections of 'bogus' objects

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 17 04:10:30 CEST 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, pix wrote:

> [osc~ 100] -> [dac~]
> select, the connection, hit the intersect button, and it becomes
> [osc~ 100] -> [nop~] -> [dac~]
> then the nop object could be edited into something useful, potentially
> with no interruption to audio:
> [osc~ 100] -> [*~ 1] -> [dac~]
> then a number box could be patched into the second inlet of the *~ object,
> and you have added volume control without having to stop the patch.
> is this too wacky?

When I was VJing (an imposture...), showing off the effects of GridFlow
and making new ones as I was going, I happened to wish I had the
possibility of not interrupting the flow of grids, because the way it is
right now, it's not visually smooth... But I still had to disconnect and
reconnect, which takes 1 second unless I make a mistake. Still,
æsthetically speaking, that may be significant, especially in fast-looking
effects.

So I vote yes for this feature, and I request its complement as well:

Selecting a component and hitting a special deletion key (for example
Ctrl+Del ?) would merge the wire(s) of its inlet 0 with the wire(s) of its
outlet 0, and delete the object itself, in one pass.

So those two features allow to expand and shrink a chain of components
without interrupting anything.