[PD-dev] get_sysblksize() and overlapping

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Sep 17 10:19:27 CEST 2003

Hallo,
Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:00:35 -0700
> Miller Puckette <mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> > I think there's no way to find out overlap from within an extern.
> > You can get blocksize by waiting around for DSP to start and looking
> > at any signal input or output.
>
> well and i figured out, that sys_getblksize() only works if dsp is
> switched on. if not it returns the default blocksize. so you can't run
> the function in the constructor of a class :-(
>
> that makes it a bit difficult to write spectral processors...

I had a similar problem with the samplerate in my fluid~ external.
fluid needs to know the samplerate when constructing its fluidsynth
member instance. But SR isn't known until dsp is turned on. The
partial "solution" I now implemented is an "init" method, which
destroys and recreates the internal fluidsynth member instance with
the current samplerate.

fluid_init is called in the constructor but can also be called by the
user with an "init" message to fluid~.

ciao