[PD-dev] scriptable/makefile-able Windows installer

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Sep 18 05:18:45 CEST 2003

My experience with created a Makefile that builds a very complete MacOS
X Pd Installer from CVS just by typing "make" has inspired me to start
thinking about doing the same for Windows.  But I have basically no
experience with MS Visual Studio and don't really want to learn it.
But I am willing to try to write an nmake Makefile if its similar
enough to make Makefiles.

Then there is a question of which installer to use.  I figure there has
got to be a way to do this using free tools like Nullsoft's SuperPiMP
(http://nsis.sourceforge.net/site/index.php ) or Inno Setup
(http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php ).  But my big caveat is that it
would have to be able to be built entirely by a Makefile.  I don't want
to have to go into a GUI app in order to create the installer.

Anyone know anything about these or have examples?

Anyone want to help?  This is not an immediate project for me, but
probably this fall or winter.  I just wanted to get the idea out there.