[PD-dev] "packages" modules WAS: debian build for pd-0.37

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Sep 26 20:47:28 CEST 2003

On Friday, Sep 26, 2003, at 13:55 America/New_York, guenter geiger
wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> I'd vote for keeping packaging stuff seperate. Of course it would be
>> easiest to build packages then, but it creates an unnecessaty mess
>> sooner or later (when we include rpm specs in various flavours,
>> ebuilds, debian, dmg-building tools, windows installers and so on)
>
> We could make another module with this stuff, .. some scripting glue
> and it would work as seamless as if it were directly in the pd folder.

I think this makes the most sense.  I actually did this for the
Darwin/MacOS X pkg.  There is a module called "darwin_pkg".  This could
be a good model for the rest of the packaging.  So there would be
things like:

darwin_pkg
darwin_xpm
redhat_rpm
suse_rpm
mandrake_rpm
debian_deb
windows_nsis
etc.
etc.

Though now upon thinking about it, we might want to make a "packages"
module with all these in that.

I would love to see all of the directories have Makesfiles in them with
a default target that makes all of the packages.  This is the way I did
darwin_pkg.  All you need to do is type "make" and it will generate a
complete pd distro with pd, docs, externals, etc and put all of the
packages into a .dmg disk image, which is the preferred way of
distributing MacOS X apps.

____

deliberately throwing it away
to benefit those who profit from scarcity."
							-John Gilmore