[OT] Tabs / Re: [PD-dev] Looks like there's a song position pointer bug

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Sep 27 11:16:36 CEST 2003

Hallo,
Larry Troxler hat gesagt: // Larry Troxler wrote:

> Thanks, actually that tip will help a lot (but what happens with CVS - does it
> know to consider tabs equivalent to spaces, and if so, how does it know what
> the tab spacing is?

How should CVS know? I treats tabs for what they are: one "\t".

> One thing I learned here (I think) is that normally hard tabs are eight spaces
> on Unix. At least that seems to be the first spacing to try.

I don't know what a hard tab is.

As a tab is just one character and not 8 or 2 or 4, there is no "rule"
on Unix that it is eight spaces normally. The eight character thing is
just the width, some editors like to show a tab.

Personally I set the tabwidth in Vim to 4 because 8 is much to wide
for my tastes. But someone else wouldn't know this, it makes no
difference when using real tabs like "\t".

Using expaned tabs everyone would see 4 spaces for indenting in my
code and would have to live with it. That's one of the reasons I
prefer \t-tabs in my code, the other is faster navigation (faster
moving over less characters).

In Pd or any C language this is really no problem at all, but I do
program a lot in Python, and here a community project has to agree on
one single indentation/tab style.

ciao