[PD-dev] external naming and cross compiling

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Sep 27 18:26:36 CEST 2003

On Saturday, Sep 27, 2003, at 04:17 America/New_York, vanDongen/Gilcher
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just finished yet another external.
> This one should work on any platform, but I have no idea how to
> cross-compile/how to organize the code etc. Should I finally learn the
> auto-tools?

The easiest way to do this would be to add your externals to the
SourceForge CVS.  Then it could be included in the 'externals' build
system, which currently works for MacOS X, GNU/Linux, and Windows.
Plus if it was in the CVS, it would be automatically included in the
Debian packages and the MacOS X installer (RPMs are coming soon).

In order to do this, you need to create a SourceForge ID (
http://sourceforge.net/account/register.php )  and tell me what it is.
Then I'll add you as a developer to the SourceForge Project.  Then you
can create a directory for your externals.  (I'd like to see the 'ff'
externals in the CVS also :)  After that, I can add it to the
'externals' build system or tell you how.

> And I have to think of a name.
> It is a cross between qlist and pipe, combined with a quantifier.
> You send it  lists with as first element a number of beats, and it
> will output
> the rest of the list after that count. You can change the tempo in BPM
> dynamically, the scheduling will be adjusted. Any number of lists, in
> any
> order. You can specify the tick-per-quarter and it will quantify each
> input
> to the nearest tick.
>
> But what to call it. I tried schedule, but that doesn't work (name
> conflict?)
> Any suggestions?

Here are a couple off the top of my head:

[qlistpipe]
[beatpipe]

.hc