[OT] Tabs / Re: [PD-dev] Looks like there's a song position pointer bug

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sat Sep 27 22:36:20 CEST 2003

On Saturday 27 September 2003 15:03, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Larry Troxler hat gesagt: // Larry Troxler wrote:
> > Frank, what you're describing is how tab characters are intended to be
> > used. The problem is that all too often, they are used incorrectly;
> > sometimes both tabs and spaces are used for indentation, or a tab
> > character is used to indent to a specific character position. In these
> > cases, I'm forced to try different tab spacings until I find the "right"
> > one.
>
> Ah, okay. Now I understand. So the tabs aren't the problem, the mixing
> of tabs and spaces is, because everyone and their sisters use
> differnet expansion widths.

Yes!

>   To avoid alignment problems between people who have tabs set to
>   different widths.  A common use of tabs is to align the values of a
>   dictionary or the right hand sides of several consecutive assignment
>   statements. There is no problem when using tabs for indentation, but
>   when they are used past non-tab characters, the alignment will be
>   skewed when the tab width is changed (e.g., when a different developer
>   with a different tab width views the code).

Yes again! Someone understands me!

Maybe I'm not going crazy after all. Well, I probably still am going crazy ...

> In C it's more a cosmetic issue. CVS I think doesn't do anything about
> it: spaces stay spaces and tabs are tabs in the repository.
>
> ciao

Not good, but I guess that's ok. It's more important that "patch" and "diff"
have options to ignore whitespace. I haven't checked yet.

We now return you to your regular programming (maybe)

Larry