[OT] Tabs / Re: [PD-dev] Looks like there's a song position pointer bug

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Sep 28 00:50:52 CEST 2003

Hallo,
Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:

> Just to throw in my own 2 cents...  The Pd sources are: tabs 8 spaces
> (their historical value), indentation 4 spaces.  This unfortunately means
> that Pd does mix spaces and tabs for indentation.  However, there's no
> rule that says that Pd source files have to use tabs at all; the indentation
> may be implemented using all spaces.  However, I haven't set my own text
> editor to avoid tabs.  Most text editors will at least allow you to set
> tab to 8 spaces, although some of them then assume that of course you want to
> indent 8 spaces too, which is inappropriate for Pd code, since I also adhere
> to a limit of 80 columns.

I also feel, that indenting 8 visible spaces is too wide. I normally
use tabs everywhere, but let them appear in my editor (Vim) 4 spaces
wide. It's enlightening to read, what the Vim docs say about this:
(tabstop is width of tab, shiftwidth is indent width)

	There are four main ways to use tabs in Vim:

	1. Always keep 'tabstop' at 8, set 'softtabstop' and 'shiftwidth' to 4
	   (or 3 or whatever you prefer) and use 'noexpandtab'.  Then Vim
	   will use a mix of tabs and spaces, but typing Tab and BS will
	   behave like a tab appears every 4 (or 3) characters.
	2. Set 'tabstop' and 'shiftwidth' to whatever you prefer and use
	   'expandtab'.  This way you will always insert spaces.  The
	   formatting will never be messed up when 'tabstop' is changed.
	3. Set 'tabstop' and 'shiftwidth' to whatever you prefer and use a
	   |modeline| to set these values when editing the file again.  Only
	   works when using Vim to edit the file.
	4. Always set 'tabstop' and 'shiftwidth' to the same value, and
	   'noexpandtab'.  This should then work (for initial indents only)
	   for any tabstop setting that people use.  It might be nice to have
	   tabs after the first non-blank inserted as spaces if you do this
	   though.  Otherwise aligned comments will be wrong when 'tabstop' is
	   changed.

You use 1, I use 4., 2. will work everywhere, 3. only in Vim. Duh!

ciao