[PD-dev] CVS pd linux build updated and inventory of changes

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Oct 7 16:51:10 CEST 2003

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, guenter geiger wrote:
>
> > - some t_int int issues, that caused build failures on 64 bit
> >   architectures
>
> May I know what those are?

Well, not a big issue, happens that t_int have to be able to hold
pointers (which means they have to be 64 bit on 64 bit architectures).

This is problematic when using it with the printf() family of functions,
which expect to have 32 bit ints for the %d formatter ...

I cast it to 32 bit and hope that pd will not occupy more than
32 bit address space ...

> > - experimental quoting with '"' as in "hello world" ..
> >   but this is a hack and has probably to go away
> >   Don't ask who did that :)
>
> Actually, in jMax4, I voted against the use of doublequotes as
> symbol-delimiter, because I suggested that doublequotes would be reserved
> for strings, and then it has been decided that instead singlequotes would
> be used as symbol-delimiter.
>
> Which brings me to the question: is there any plan of bringing
> garbage-collected strings to PD ?

hmm, not that I know of. What would be the difference between symbols and
strings ?

Guenter