[PD-dev] Yet another newbie question...

Julien Jassaud sojastar at wanadoo.fr
Fri Oct 17 12:53:54 CEST 2003

Olaf,

Thanks for the quick answer. The memory allocation helped with the
crash problem.
But I still have the symbol problem. I think I don't understand how PD
handles messages. I created my outlet with a NULL, so it should be a
message outlet. Or is it just an "anything" outlet?
Than I use outlet_anything() to output all my text. Yet, when I break
the text appart with unpack (the text is used to control various other
pd objects, like blinkenlights for example), every word is always
preceded by symbol (which is normal, I guess, since I used SETSYMBOL
for every entry of the list). But SETSYMBOL seems to be the only way to
output strings. So basicaly my question is, is there a way to send
regular messages, I mean exactly as they are sent from a message box?

> Hi Julien,
>
> haven't tried it, but you probably have to allocate some memory for
> bluh?!
>
> t_atom *bluh;
> int size = 2;
>
> bluh = (t_atom *)getbytes(size * sizeof(t_atom));
>
> /* free mem with freebytes() when you don't need it any longer */
>
> or, in case size does not change:
>
> t_atom bluh[2];

Thanks,
Julien