[PD-dev] [PD] Mac OS X installers - BUG

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Oct 27 07:05:10 CET 2003

On Saturday, Oct 25, 2003, at 11:28 America/New_York, B. Bogart wrote:

> Hey Hans,
>
> I downloaded the current macOSX installer from your pure-data site. I
> think
> this might have already been reported but PD does not get installed
> correctly if you specifiy a non-root folder for the installation.
> Probably
> makes sense to #1 set the installation target in the package so that
> the
> user cannot change it or #2 (longer term) make the PD system relative
> so
> that it can be installed in any place (like all of it in
> applications). I
> think Matt is working on this?

Yeah, I should mention that somewhere.  You shouldn't install any of
those packages anywhere besides default unless you _really_ know what
you are doing; you'll have to do some clean-up.  I left it like that in
case someone wants to do something unorthodox.  In the long run, yes,
it should have postinstall scripts that fix everything up to work
properly wherever its installed.  But I have run out of time for now
for working on this, and its not very high on the TODO list.

As for Matt, I think he is working on making an /Applications/Pure
Data.app wrapper for Pd based on the Wish Shell.app, which would make
Pd behave a lot more like a regular MacOS X app.

.hc