[PD-dev] 64 bit issues

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Thu Oct 30 10:38:29 CET 2003

Hi,

I have just tested pd on my old Alpha, and realized that there are
some issues with 64 bit pointers that keep pd from working on that
platform:

The pointer values that are used for tagging tcl/tk objects in
pd are 64 bit on alpha (and of course on the new intel and athlon
machines).

Pd uses the "%x" format to send these values. What happens is that
"%x" cuts off a part of the 64 bit pointers, which normally does
not matter, but obviously it only cuts them off in some situations
but in others not.

Therefor the GUI is not functional in the current release.
I have been able to overcome this problem by using the
"%lx" format. (which corresponds to "long integer", the type that
should be able to hold a pointer on all architectures I have seen so
far).

I can come up with a patch for that (simple query/replace of %x) if
you are interested.

Guenter