[PD-dev] OSC over multicast

ben at ekran.org ben at ekran.org
Thu Nov 6 18:47:58 CET 2003

Hey all,

Last year I thought about writing a multicast communication object for PD.
Then I did not have enough time and it never got off the ground. Now I
have the need to communicate between PD and MAX over multcast, and I think
OSC is the way to go...

I *seem* to be able to specify a multicast region to send to (port IP
combination) which is not a host but a virtual multcast group. (I guess
this part is the same between UDP and multicast?

What is missing is being able to route data from multicast, ie being able
to specify not a port [because the connection is not to the host] but a
port/IP of a multicast group...

There may be video and audio data packets flying around that area, but I
think the OSC naming will ignore that data any only route OSC packets it
sees in the multicast group...

Each client in a multicast region has a "SRCID" that defines what data
comes from whom. It would be REALLY nice if this could be integrated into
the naming scheme so that one could route data OSC based on who sent it...
I suppose this would be easy enough by prepending a unique name for each
client before sending out the data? It would be also nice to be able to
create a list of clients in the region by the OSC name...

Ok, anyone interested? (come on out you AG people!)

Thanks
Ben