[PD-dev] the case for maintaining Pd in CVS

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Nov 20 05:52:52 CET 2003

Since I often seem to play the part of the cheerleader for community
building projects, like the CVS and pure-data.org, I thought I'd lay out
some of the advantages of maintaining Pd's core in the CVS:

- Automatic ChangeLogs
If checkins are commented, then cvs2cl will generate nicely commented ChangeLogs.

- easier for devs to track changes
Work like Thomas' wouldn't be interrupted as much by work on the Pd core.

- someone else could handle releases
Like me, since I doing this anyway.

- no need for pd test releases
Beta testers could just 'cvs checkout' instead.

We have worked out and tested setting up Access Control Lists on the
CVS, so that commit/write access could be limited based on branches,
etc.   Then as a regression testing is implemented, other developers can
slowly join in on working on the code.  I think everyone involved would
gain from moving Pd to CVS.

just my two bits,