[PD-dev] tooltips

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 26 18:12:29 CET 2003

Miller Puckette wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been planning simply to put inlet attributes as arguments, once the
> correct design becomes apparent.
>
> I'm not sure it's best to load the up/downsampling filters directly into the
> inlet~/outlet~ objects; it's certainly possible simply to put them in the
> subpatch instead.

actually i found it not that simple to do, the way pd handles signals.
i find pd's way of handling blocking, overlapping etc. a very clean
solution: a subpatch just runs different signal-blocks and it is all
handled by the inlet/outlet routines; the user doesn't have to care.

now for upsampling/downsampling without built-in filters:
when a subpatch is upsampling, the whole filtering can be built inside
the sub-patch.
however, when doing downsampling, the filtering has to be in the parent
patch, which i found very dirty: the parent-patch has to know the
samplerate of the child to do it correctly.
this was the main reason, why i chose to do the filtering in the iolet~s.
although i have to admit: very few filters are implemented, and they
cannot really be used for audio-processing.
while we (at our institute) heavily use the up/down-sampling feature,
the filtering is mostly done by hand (but that is, because they don't
know it better ;-))

mfg.asrd
IOhannes