[PD-dev] presets... why not?

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Sun Nov 30 22:30:47 CET 2003

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Krzysztof Czaja hat gesagt: // Krzysztof Czaja wrote:
>
> > just managed to scan over all the recent talk about state saving,
> > presets, etc. on the pd list...
> >
> > ...no doubt I am thinking slow.  In fact, I have not even figured
> > out yet, why any generic, user-friendly mechanism for storing and
> > recalling run-time state is bad in principle.
> >
> > Perhaps the reason is not technical at all... but what is it?
>
> I'd be interested in that, too, but regardless of what Miller will
> decide: After reading all the talk, the vote of the public seems to be
> strongly pro-saving. So it will have to be done one way or the other.
> Doing it as abstraction is tedious. The most simple and still flexible
> an general solution I could come up with so far is available here:
> http://www.pure-data.org/Members/fbar/patches/memento-0.1.tgz/view
>
> Even that is actually complicated and requires the pool external (plus
> prepend).
>
> I'd love to throw it in the trash can if we could instead get a more
> general solution inside Pd.

I think it is a very useful thing to have indeed, I could
not imagine the complexity of my patches without the "state" object.
But first we have to give the concept one or another thought.

Later the CVS would be a good instrument to proove its feasability.
Needless to say that I support fully the ideas hc. posted some days ago
about using the CVS.

So, we just have to decide what we want, and then implement it ..

Guenter