[PD-dev] presets... why not?

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Dec 1 00:36:52 CET 2003

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> guenter geiger hat gesagt: // guenter geiger wrote:
>
> > I think it is a very useful thing to have indeed, I could
> > not imagine the complexity of my patches without the "state" object.
> > But first we have to give the concept one or another thought.
>
> Yes, we should definitely collect, what might be expected of a preset
> system, a specification. I didn't use [state] for years, I guess, and
> just now looked at the help patch again, when the first problem arose.
> Clicking 1 gave:
>
> state: unable to open /usr/lib/pd/doc/5.reference/state.1
>
> This is one feature I would like to see: Saves should not
> automatically select a save file, but should require a (full) path to
> a file provided by the user. Maybe [state] allows that, I didn't look
> very hard, it's just something that stroke me when it happened.

yes, "state" can only load files that have been saved before, maybe I
should improve the documentation, if this is not really clear.
I think that states should be saved relative to the patch directory,
which is the case with state. If you want to change the filename
instantiate with "state mystate".

Guenter