[PD-dev] presets... why not?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Dec 1 19:50:11 CET 2003

Hallo,
B. Bogart hat gesagt: // B. Bogart wrote:

> I'm really exited how fast this stuff is moving, I'm sure soon I'll have all
> my state-saving dreams come true. (very very important for v_!)
>
> Ben
>
> It's probably a bit early to start plugin in memento into my v_
> abtractions...

Yes, memento is meant to be something like a design study and at the
same time a proof of concept. A final solution has to be much more
robust and even easier to use. Especially the "commun" abstraction has
to go, and ideally originator wouldn't need to know anything about $0
at all, which is currently just used to make the send/receive local,
that better should go down as well in the end.

I could figure, that a marriage of the state and pool externals would
be cool (maybe not even in one in- or external but by a defined
communication protocol between the two). Pool in this would be the
"Originator" of the Memento pattern (like the sound engineer here [1])
which saves a Memento as a file to the disk (== caretaker) whereas
[state] would be just that: the State of things, that is read and
written to.  Something, probably [state] would have to do the actual
reload of a state, as well, i.e. setting number boxes and sliders to
certain values.

Another still open question is: what belongs to a state: Only the
things that change state visibly, like numbers, or should the state of
a [float] box be saved, too. I think, this could get hard, though.

[1] http://www.agcs.com/supportv2/techpapers/patterns/papers/tutnotes/sld025.htm

ciao