[PD-dev] presets... why not?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Dec 2 12:19:08 CET 2003

Hallo,
rama hat gesagt: // rama wrote:

> eo, i'm interested in this preset thing.
>
> what about interfacing pd to a database (ie: mysql) for this?
> might affect performance/response or that shouldn't be a problem?

I agree, that several ways to store state should be possible, but a
built-in Pd object should rather stay with saving to disk. But DB
saving is an argument for abstracting out the actual persistance into
a number of "caretaker" externals/abstrations. All caretakers would
just need to know how to store and restore something, whereas the rest
of the preset stuff wouldn't need to know anything about that, but
would just deal with some caretaker.

ciao