[PD-dev] Really ugly Quattro hack (but works)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Dec 4 02:27:21 CET 2003

Hallo,
Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > I desperatly needed 4-channel audio out on my Quattro on Linux and I
> > know, lots of others needed that, too. So I made an ugly hack without
> > actually hoping it would work at all, but interestingly it did work.
>
> finally someone managed to get a quattro working with 0.37 ... just a
> week before i'll buy an rme ;-)

You might run into a very similar problem, maybe exactly the same.
(But then, exactly the same "solution" could work)

> anyway, good job ...

Not good, dirty.

I was thinking of a slightly less dirty solution: How about allowing
the option -audiodev be negative (-1) for ALSA and if it is negative,
just select the ALSA device "default" inside Pd. Then one could
redefine "default" in asoundrc to be any PCM of choice, like:

 # use q4b as default:
 pcm.!default pcm.q4b

Or we could just aggree on a special name for a Pd ALSA device, like

 pcm.pd { ... }

Just some ideas...

ciao