[PD-dev] fluid~ crashes

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Dec 25 19:50:05 CET 2003

Hallo,

I'm having a problem with my fluid~ external [1] for Pd/Max crashing
Pd. This is with the current CVS version of fluid~ and Pd 0.37.  I'm
using the libfluidsynth package from Debian, which is at version
1.0.3.

Creating the object and loading soundfonts works fine, but as soon as
audio is turned on, a patch with the fluid~ object crashes Pd.

I found out, that Pd crashes at the calls to fluid_synth_write_float
in the dsp function of fluid~, which looks like this:

void fluid::m_signal(int n, float *const *in, float *const *out)
{

	if (synth == NULL) return;

	float *left  = out[0];
	float *right = out[1];
	// This crashes:
	fluid_synth_write_float(synth, n, left, 0, 1, right, 0, 1);

}  // end m_signal

If I comment out fluid_synth_write_float Pd does not crash. I can write to
the left or right arrays as well (like setting left[1] = 0.4 by hand),
so somehow the error has to be inside the fluid function. Can someone
reproduce this and maybe has an idea about a reason?

[1] Source code for fluid~ is at pure-data.sourceforge.net in the CVS
here: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/pure-data/externals/footils/fluid/fluid/

ciao