[PD-dev] partial recompilation of DSP graph

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Fri Jan 2 10:07:59 CET 2004

Hi Miller, hi all,

exploring the possibilities of avoiding clicks when
creating/connecting/deleting  DSP objects i found a short note in the PD
source at d_ugen.c/ugen_done_graph:

/* once the DSP graph is built, we call this routine to sort it.
This routine also deletes the graph; later we might want to leave the
graph around, in case the user is editing the DSP network, to save having
to recreate it all the time. But not today. */

Hmmm, does this mean that there will be a chance to do only a partial
recompilation of the graph (as a kind of diff) ?

(At least) For me it is extremely it's extremely important to get PD to
- load large patches
- edit the DSP structure
without having clicks in the audio - and for that i have been trying around
in PD with several modifications (like multiple dsp chains) but none is
fundamental enough to _guarantee_ click-freeness. Partial recompilation
(preferably as a background thread) seems to be a real choice.

Any other ideas?

best greetings,
Thomas