[PD-dev] writesf~ bug?

Jorge Cardoso jccardoso at porto.ucp.pt
Mon Jan 5 20:19:58 CET 2004

Hi,

I have been playing around with writesf~, trying to save '.au' files (nextstep), and I'm
getting weird results. I'm hoping someone else can verify this.

I have a Windows machine running PD 0.37.0.
When I use writesf~ to save a file in 'au' format (using the -nextstep flag) the resulting
file is malformed (I can't open it with any sound program).
After a little inspection to the generated file it seems to me that the file is always
big-indian encoded (it also seems that the -little/-big flags have no effect, the file is
always the same).
Also it seems that field 2 of the file header (data size) is filled with zeroes when, according to
http://brandt.kurowski.net/projects/lsa/wiki/view.cgi?doc=588, it should be filled with ones.

I made a test patch (see attach) to reproduce these results .

I experimented re-arranging the file manually and it can be played afterwards...

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks,
jc

PS: I have just joined this list and I don't know if this was the right place to post
possible bugs in PD or if the cvs list would be more appropriate...

---
Jorge Cardoso <-> jorgecardoso at ieee.org

Centro de Investigação em Ciência e Tecnologia das Artes (CITAR)
Univ. Católica - CRP -> Escola das Artes -> Dept. Som e Imagem
Rua Diogo Botelho 1327
4169 - 005 Porto
Portugal

"Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you're absolutely right." - Henry Ford