[PD-dev] pd 0.37 bugs with canvases + gcc 3.3 compile??

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jan 18 22:57:05 CET 2004

Hallo,

Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:

> To tell you the truth, I don't understand the IEM code very well,
> and I worry about the prospect of eventually having to port it to
> some other GUI toolkit besides TK

Okay, I agree and understand. Or, well, I don't understand IEMGUI much
either ;) I will wait for your next release with the cnv-fixes and
will try to work it out from diffs. Actually knob is only there for
cool looks and doesn't provide much functionality, that sliders
wouldn't provide as well.

> (assuming that indeed turns out to be the main graphics performance
> problem in Pd, which I'm less and less sure of these days!)

I'd be interested in your estimation about what could be the
bottleneck?

Currently I'm doing lots of graphics intensive graph-on-parent patches
inside the RRADcial project, where the most demanding patch
graphicwise is the rrad.pattseq (see footils.org/cms/pydiddy/wiki/RradicalPd
for patch and screenshot.)

This turned out to be a very good test of how graphics updates do
disturb the audio chain. rrad.pattseq *will* definitely disturb audio
processing. Recording with writesf~ works fine, but realtime audio out
will click if the currently shown pattern changes, because this
changes 32 radio buttons, 32 sliders and some other GUI objects in one
go. I worked around this effect by using a toggle to switch on/off
graphics updates, which in the long run is not comfortable.  I also
tried Yves' threading patch, but this didn't help in my case.

ciao