[PD-dev] // GEM create window locks kernel //

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Thu Jan 22 09:48:04 CET 2004

guenter geiger wrote:
> this is most likely a problem with the kernel. have you tried booting
> into a stable 2.4.xx ?
>
> Guenter
>
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, delire wrote:
>
>>the moment i click the create msg box the cursor freezes and my box locks up.
>>
>>build system:
>>
>>	. debian testing / unstable
>>	. both kernels 2.6.0 & 2.6.1
>>	. gem-0.888pre and todays CVS
>>	. pd-0.37-1test3
>>	. radeon 7500 (DRI / DRM =yes)
>>	. xlibmesa3
>>	. libglut3
>>	. ext3 fs

i had the same problems on my pretty, shitty gericom notebook (radeon
M6) with 2.6.0*-kernels: create a glx-context (either Gem or glxgears or
whatever) and thats it.
the box doesn't really lock, just the Xserver freezes.
i could log in remotely.

however, i upgraded the xserver to debian/unstable 2 days ago.
yesterday i compiled/installed a 2.6.1-kernel.
and hooray it works.
(but i don't know what exactly it was)
i thought guenter is right that this is a plain kernel issue, so 2.6.1
has fixed it for me

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes