[PD-dev] toxy - woah

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Thu Jan 22 21:00:06 CET 2004

Hello All,

I've been playing with toxy today (in particular the nifty examples in CVS)

Thanks for all the work going into this, its a very cool project.

Oh the reason why I'm playing with it two things, I'd like to be able to use
a nice "popup" menu to select from a number of things in a list, but the
list is only visible when interacting. (takes up very little screen space).
I'm also after a multi-line text entry widget.

I have a working popup menu, and it works as a GOP, but its GOP bounds get
all screwed up in 37-0 (when you move the object it shrink-wraps around the
widget, if you save and load it you get a GOP box that does not fit with the
proportions of the widget (tall and thin) but it works.

I'm having some troubles with text entry though. I've hacked the example
using an entry widget and replaced it with a text widget, which works great,
except for a couple issues, multiple spaces and carrige returns are not
preserved, and the result is wrapped in {} braces. I'd like to use this with
the gem text objects, so it would be nice to be able to put line-breaks (say
does text in gem even support line breaks?) but I'd be happy with spaces. So
how do I remove the curly braces from inside the default.wip?

I also have one general question, why are native PD wigets used in PD
outside of property boxes? I would imagine a tk scroolbar would be a lot
more efficient than a vector drawing of one.. I think more tk widgets (or
whatever toolkit) should be available as interfaces inside PD. Toxy is being
a little taxing, anyone working on a pop-up menu or text-entry external? The
other thing was a "playlist" style file reader, but using a tk listbox and
scrollbar...

Thanks again, (especially to Kristof!)

any comments appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

PS: What exactly does: eval .<[.- get ].> do? I'm trying to add a string
range command to strip the curly braces, but I don't know where to put it!
"string range $string 1 [expr [string length $string] -2]"