[PD-dev] Help search; standard external installation paths

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sun Feb 1 23:20:28 CET 2004

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 04:19, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Actually all externals are an extension to Pd. On the CVS distribution
> build, every external is install to /usr/[local/]lib/pd/extra/ all
> docs go to doc/5.reference/ without subfolders. I think, installing
> all binaries in one directory makes things very easy to understand and
> setup.
>
> ciao

It would be truly wonderfull if PD could adopt some sort of standard directory
scheme - currently I have externs, libraries, and documentation patches all
over the place, and my .pdrc is a mess.

Incidently, I think the CVS build put my doc in /usr/local/lib/doc... and not
doc/...  as you say; although some makefiles have indeed put their example
patches in my home directory.

Currently it looks like most of my stuff has gravitated to /usr/local/lib/pd.
In that directory I have  "bin", "doc", "externs", "extra", and "flext".

It would really be nice if there were some sort of guidlelines in the PD
documentation (or maybe there are and I just haven't rebrowsed lately),.

My way of working lately is to just hack the makefiles to put everything where
most of the PD stuff seems to already be :-)

Larry