[PD-dev] Help search; standard external installation paths

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Feb 2 12:15:03 CET 2004

Hallo,

guenter geiger hat gesagt: // guenter geiger wrote:

> I suggest that we put all the externals and libraries in ../lib/pd/extra.
> Of course we have to resolve the name conflicts then, which would be a
> good idea in general.
>
> After all we have to put more administrative work into the CVS, something
> I have been trying to do, but I am not very good at it, it's just too
> boring ... (well, thats probably why only a few of the developers show
> interest for these problems, some are downright fighting each attempt
> to come up with a common structure .. well, what can we do ? )

We aren't that many as there are maintainers in Debian, but still I
think, that this will only get solved at last by having a written
policy for externals in CVS, that all developers agree upon and then
we could adapt everything to follow that policy.

There are some hairy issues involved. For example, packaging would be
much easier, if the policy would not allow libraries, but several
developers think, that under certain circumstances libraries are a
good thing.

I think, that the location of externals and help files is rather easy
to agree upon. As this is cross-platform development, we need to find
a way to abstract out the Pd directory, by, say, using an environment
variable PDDIR or a define while building the externals. Then this
would specify, where everything goes relative to that setting.

ciao