[PD-dev] Help search; standard external installation paths

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Feb 2 15:32:37 CET 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> We aren't that many as there are maintainers in Debian, but still I
> think, that this will only get solved at last by having a written
> policy for externals in CVS, that all developers agree upon and then
> we could adapt everything to follow that policy.
>
> There are some hairy issues involved. For example, packaging would be
> much easier, if the policy would not allow libraries, but several
> developers think, that under certain circumstances libraries are a
> good thing.

Yes, and I think I do understand very well their motives. We have to
accept that it is this way, and the best thing would be to split
the externals section into externals and libraries.

Externals would be a place to put single externals, together with a
policy, that we would have to define.

The libraries section is the one for those who want to cook their own
soup :)

> I think, that the location of externals and help files is rather easy
> to agree upon. As this is cross-platform development, we need to find
> a way to abstract out the Pd directory, by, say, using an environment
> variable PDDIR or a define while building the externals. Then this
> would specify, where everything goes relative to that setting.

Well, yes, I think that most of the packages offer an abstraction of
the PDDIR, the problem is that they don't do it the same way, and that
they have different defaults ...

Guenter