[PD-dev] installation paths

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Feb 2 16:33:20 CET 2004

Hallo,
d.lj hat gesagt: // d.lj wrote:

> [Frank Barknecht]->[Re: [PD-dev] Help search; standard external...
> i m not sure if such a policy is the key to this dilemma given
> guenthers statement of resistance against structuring, since its only
> more of structuring, more specifically a top-down structuring and i
> think the other way round would be preferable.
>
> the cvs right now fullfils at least the function of a more or less
> complete collection spot for externals regardless of the state they're
> in, which is pretty good, so exlcuding stuff via some policy will only
> generate regress in this aspect. i think the same goes for using
> libaries in externals.
>
> a lot of stuff is being created by a devel-user hybrid and commitment
> stops if a local solution is achieved, i.e. bringing a little project
> into some formal shape is a bunch of work with no more direct benefit.
>
> maybe a proper example external would help here, since a lot of stuff is
> being made via copy and pasting from existing externals.
>
> this means that the work fixing makefiles and putting stuff into common
> locations is being shifted to those packaging stuff for particular
> distribution formats. but exactly the work thats being done there could
> be folded back into the cvs?

Well, maybe policy is a too strong word. As I am a Makefile and
autoconf idiot, I am a prime example of those copy and paste guys: I
just use the same system, that Thomas uses in the flext-tutorials.
(I would love to see an autoconf example for flext exernals. I will
adapt it immediatly.)

If everyone was using autoconf, we would have no problems. It gets
difficult, when Makefiles are using DESTDIR, PDDIR or whatever as
install target. Yes, if you compile everything separately, this is
fine: just look into the Makefile, search for install and edit it. But
this is tedious work, so an agreement on, say, using PDDIR as install
path would help a lot.

Oh: And I don't want to forbid libraries, but they will have to be
dealt with differently than single externals and they are more prone
to carry undiscovered name clashes.

ciao