[PD-dev] freeing a file descriptor in linuxevent

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Feb 14 14:56:52 CET 2004

Hallo,

I have a problem with fully freeing the linuxevent object. If I open
an event device file, say /dev/input/event3 with linuxevent and then
do not close the device correctly by either deleting the linuxevent
object, or sending it a "close" message, I cannot claim the device
again later.

This happens, if I close Pd with the Quit message or the window
manager buttons. The only way to reclaim a device - a Contour
ShuttleXpress - I found is by unplugging it, removing various kernel
modules (hid, evdev) with rmmod and then plugging the device back in.

I suppose, that the linuxevent's linuxevent_free method isn't called,
when Pd is closed. Could this be? Of course I can work around all this
by properly closing the device descriptor by hand, but this won't
help for example, when Pd crashed.

ciao