[PD-dev] freeing a file descriptor in linuxevent

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Feb 19 08:04:50 CET 2004

Hallo,

> Upon a brief examination, nothing sticks out.  I'll be working on this
> tomorrow, I'll let you know if I find anything.  Are you sure that it
> only happens with Pd?  Could it be happening with this device in other
> programs?  Sounds like a cool device, what do you think of it so far?

So far I only used it with an event reader example program from the
Linux HID/Event Tutorial. What makes me wonder is, that if I close the
dev correctly, nothing bad happens. Only if I close Pd without closing
the device in linuxevent, it hangs. But I've found, that unplugging
and plugging in the device will help as well, so no rmmod necessary.

The device itself has some disadvangages. For example, both wheels
don't have a zero value! The outer ring goes from 1-7 and -1 to -7 but
never reports 0 even when in the physical zero position. Positions
other than 0 get repeated automatically, though, at about 1 Hz which
is really too slow for anything useful. So I think, I will have to
treat 1 and -1 the same and filter out the other values with [change].
I have no idea why Contour did this, it feels really stupid.

I still get one button acting as right mouse button. I cannot check
right now, but IIRC the buttons are numbered from 260-264. The first
button, 260, opens up the context menu when testing it with Pd, and
does do even outside of Pd (WM root menu). I'm also not sure
currently, if this only happens while Pd is running. If not, than it's
my personal problm. ;)

Other than that the ShuttleXpress is a really cool device. It stands
firm on the desk, the buttons are in good reach and you can even
handle it with two hands, one doing the buttons, the other the wheels.

Button reports also work in combination, you you could use all binary
combinations as values (which would be 32). The wheel goes from 1-255
(no zero as well) but need several turns for the whole range. After
that it starts again at 1 rsp. 255 depending on your direction.

ciao