[PD-dev] How to send data from pd-gui to pd??

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Thu Feb 19 11:51:19 CET 2004

hi Ben (and Guenter?),

in a short-term project you will probably find yourself on a safer
side, since toxy is still very immature.

Taking a longer-term view, however, I do not understand, why
should anybody prefer writing and maintaining (esp. through Pd api
changes) a few-hundred-or-more-line external, to a few lines of
a simple Tcl code, which has to be embedded in that external,
anyway.

At least, there are no fundamental stability, nor performance gains
I can think of...

Krzysztof

B. Bogart wrote:
> I'm almost finished [popup], with a couple bugs and the biggest issue
> being that I can't figure out how to pass data from the tk widget back
> to pd.. (telling it what menu item was selected!) in GGEE button.c seems
> to do the magic here, could someone explain whats really going on?
>
>    sprintf(buf,"button%p",x);
>    x->x_sym = gensym(buf);
>    pd_bind(&x->x_obj.ob_pd, x->x_sym);
>
>    sys_vgui("proc button_cb%x {} {\n pd [concat button%p b \\;]\n

defines a procedure to be configured into a button's -command.
The proc, when invoked, sends a 'b' message to the object.