[PD-dev] popup external

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Fri Feb 20 21:48:29 CET 2004

Hello all,

I've put my first version of "popup" the popup menu widget in CVS.

Its based on the button widget from GGEE, and has enherited some problems.

Its only lightly tested on linux, fairly tested on osx and untested on
windows.

The biggest issues are: (which would help with other widget externals)
* It shows up in a GOP abstraction, but when you move the abstraction PD
can't find the widget path.  (button from GGEE also does this)
* popup is messy about its width (dependant on font size!). Best
solution is to get the widget to report its size and fit the box
accordingly. I know how to do this in tcl: [canvas] itemcget [tags]
-width which does return the size in pixels, not characters. I would
have fixed this already, but I don't know how to get the data from
tcl/tk back to C, without it being treated as a method selector. (the
output should not be bound to an outlet, but simply passed to an
internal function that changes the box size) The result of this is the
second outlet does not know where to be exactly!

Guenter, thanks for these examples and your help. I changed some code in
the functions that draw the inlet and outlets by adding two tags, one
for the particular outlet, and one for all the outlets. This way you can
send one C command to erase all the outlets, rather than using a  loop.

comments welcome.

Thanks all,
Ben