[PD-dev] MIDI output devices

Padraig Kitterick padraigkitterick at oceanfree.net
Sat Feb 21 17:20:58 CET 2004

Hi all,

I am working on a project for a course Im doing which uses PD (in
windows) to program a device which understands system exclusive MIDI
messages. After discovering that sysex out doesn't seem to be fully
implemented under windows yet I went ahead and wrote an external to do
it. All is working fine but at the moment I have to hard-code the midi
device number into the code.

What I would like to be able to do is to use the device which is
selected in PD's midi settings. I've searched the lists but can't seem
to find anything related to this. Could anyone tell me how I do this?

p.s. just in case anyone is wondering why I don't just patch the PD
source tree (which would be easier of course): I don't want people to
have to use a custom build. I would prefer that they can just link in an
external at run-time. Also, this is just a small part of a larger
project which we want packaged in one external.

Many thanks in advance,

Padraig Kitterick