Directory structure [was: Re: [PD-dev] popup external]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Feb 21 20:11:34 CET 2004

Hallo,
B. Bogart hat gesagt: // B. Bogart wrote:

> I think there should certainly be a protocol for the organization of the
> externals CVS. At first it seemed to make sens e to have everything at
> one level deep, but this came from my putting externals in CVS early on
> (too early?) I think there were only about 10 or so externals when I
> commited the first version of chaos, and have just followed that pattern
> since. I'm not sure if organization by author makes the most sense or
> not. (chaos is co-written by me and Michale McGonagle for example) I can
> imagine co-authorship might happen more often. For example "popup" is at
> least 80% from GGEE's button, so I would (at least) consider Guenter a
> co-author.
>
> I'm really not sure the best organization, perhaps by types of externals?
>
> control/
> gui/
> algo-generators/
> ?

Actually "author" isn't meant literally. Of course many externals have
several authors. In some cases it's just very practical to organize by
"project" instead of semantically. For example, people like Thomas
Grill can just mirror their whole private CVS tree to Sourceforge. And
as one of the initial intentions of pd-SF was, to have as many
externals as possible in one CVS, instead of them being spread all
over the net. Then, grouping by "author" or "project" was a natural
thing to do.

ciao