[PD-dev] Re: [PD] Flext (or lack of it)

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Sun Feb 22 14:15:26 CET 2004

Hi Marc,

> That was one of the problem; I removed pthread.h from the source of
> pd-0.37-1test6 and it compiled. When I added "-mno-cygwin" to CFLAGS it
> complained that it was not possible to determine the operating system, so
> I added "#define FLEXT_OS FLEXT_OS_WIN" in flext.h and it compiled (there
> must be a better way).

I don't have this problem (the OS is detected correctly) but -mno-cygwin
doesn't work for threaded externals (and therefore also a flext dynamic
library) because pthread definitions don't get included in the relevant
cygwin header files (as __CYGWIN__ is not defined then).
Without that flag all static versions of flext compile ok here.

MinGW works ok. I added makefiles etc. to the flext cvs folder. (working
versions to check out by tomorrow morning)

> Now I'd like to build a DLL instead of static libraries, but I can't
> replace "CFLAGS_T=-DFLEXT_THREADS" with "CFLAGS_T=-DFLEXT_SHARED", as
> instructed by Thomas, because this flag is for the msvc makefile, not the
> cygwin makefile.

Hmmm, i don't understand. However, have a look at tomorrow's cvs makefile.

> There's special tools included with Cygin to create DLLs,
> but I don't understand (yet) how to use them. Any help would be
> appreciated.

Without special tools (which ones?) linking a flext.dll currently fails
because the linker can't cope with the variables (garray_class etc.)
exported by pd.lib .
I'm happy about any ideas how to solve this

greetings,
Thomas