Directory structure [was: Re: [PD-dev] popup external]

d.lj jdl at xdv.org
Sun Feb 22 17:05:57 CET 2004

[Frank Barknecht]->[Directory structure [was: Re: [PD-dev] popup...

 |Hallo,
 |B. Bogart hat gesagt: // B. Bogart wrote:
 |
 |> I've put my first version of "popup" the popup menu widget in CVS.
 |
 |Cool. I'll test as soon as I finished testing the new Snd. ;)
 |
 |But your check-in reminds me of another thing, I sometimes think about
 |when looking at the CVS repository. You - and some others - put each
 |external into its own directory. Another approach - that is taken by
 |the larger collections like grill, ggee or creb rsp. pdp, is to put
 |all externals by one author or those, that belong to a larger project,
 |below a shared directory. I would prefer the second approach, partly
 |because it makes organizing my own stuff easier.

i think every single way of categorizing the stuff is problematique
because of manifold inclusions.

byauthor grouping does make sense for the more comprising packages but
not for some single object efforts, also the author's name doesnt tell
you anything about what the software does (cpan problem).

but since current filesystems hardly allow for heterogenous layouts its
probly best to choose nice symbolic names like gem2pdp, arraysize,
chaos, .. which lets you make a good guess about its purpose.

and then, cvs _and_ sf.net arent too friendly about directory
reorganisation, so itd be some other piece of software's job to map the
filesystem onto multiple modes of organization: byauthor, bycateg,
byage, byname, ...  pdb?

--
×          Þ          U          .          0          R          6
GPG-key at http://xdv.org/~jdl/jdl.pub.asc